Hi, everyone. This little post is on a few products that need no introduction, really. Then again, here are my two cents on this Lip & Cheek Kit that is infamous in its own right.
THE BACKSTORY: The thing is, being a student – makeup doesn’t always get the most priority in my normal life. In an alternate universe, it does, but if I am being realistic, food and internet expenses are more important. I don’t buy a ton of makeup anymore. What’s more, my makeup arsenal now consists of more Asian – mostly Korean/Japanese – brands. I find they perform brilliantly, since they are technically aimed toward the climatic conditions of Asia. There are times when I occasionally opt for Western brands but that is usually when I have set my eyes on a particular something and I save up money to buy it. I am definitely aware of what the Western brands release but now, I just feel like it’s a wiser choice on my part to wait for a Korean or Japanese dupe. My wallet also doesn’t cry as much that way. This kit is one of such instances, when I decided to spoil myself a little – I paid for it with last year’s birthday money. The struggle is real and alive.
THE PRODUCT: Most of us are aware of Benefit Cosmetics. For those who aren’t, Benefit Cosmetics was founded in 1976 by twins Jean and Jane Ford and is headquartered in San Francisco, California. They offer adorable packaging, supreme quality and it’s understandable why they have a cult following. Now, the reason I got this set is because it houses two of Benefit’s most infamous offerings – the Benetint and High Beam. It also contains a Sugarbomb powder and lipgloss, along with a tiny powder brush. The kit contains a mirror and a couple of how-to guides. The breakdown-
- Benetint (0.13 oz/3.84 ml) – Benetint is definitely an infamous beauty product, known for its universally flattering rose tint. Benetint can be used on both the cheeks and the lips. On the lips, it appears sheer but its opacity is build-able. It tints the lips into a gorgeous rose hue and is transfer proof once it dries. It’s a lot more evident on the cheeks as a blush, but not overwhelmingly so. It gives the cheeks the most gorgeous, wind-blown, just-pinched rose hue that brings out the natural red from your skin in the best way possible. What’s more, it smells like roses. The applicator, shaped like a nail polish brush, is a little flimsy at first but it can be broken into soon after.
- High Beam (0.13 oz/3.84 ml) – High Beam is a complexion enhancer/highlighter. It is a pale pink liquid highlighter that is, once again, flattering on all skin tones. It gives you the most gorgeous dewy look you can imagine. The sheen it adds is a lot more natural than powder highlighters. It is also similarly packaged like the Benetint, in the shape of a typical nail polish bottle, complete with the brush applicator. High Beam looks best when worn on top of your base products as opposed to mixing them together. Spot highlighting (like dabbing and blending it on the highest points of your face) gives you a more dewy look compared to mixing it with your foundation, which gives a softer glow.
- Sugarbomb Powder (0.1 oz/2.83 gm) – The sugarbomb powder is a facial powder that can be used as a powder highlighter. The powder consists of four triangularly aligned powders of different hues; rose, shimmering pink, soft plum, and peach. Swirled together, the blush/powder leans more on the warmer side. It works well as a subtle powder highlighter as it doesn’t attract too much attention with unwanted chunks of glitter and shimmer. The powder is fine and isn’t chalky.
- Sugarbomb Ultra Plush Lip Gloss (0.22 oz/6.5 ml) – The sugarbomb lip gloss is a shimmery nude with a slight hint of pink in it. It is a beautiful nude and can be worn with both a dramatic eye look or a softer one. The consistency is smooth and it isn’t as tacky as most other lip glosses. It looks beautiful layered over other nude lipsticks too. It is packaged in a squeezy tube and has a slightly sweet smell to it.
PRICE: $28 (approx 1744 INR; I, however, paid close to 2000 INR for it)
REPURCHASE: Yes for High Beam; will contemplate on Benetint and no for both the Sugarbomb powder and lip gloss.
Benefit Cosmetics Sugarlicious Lip & Cheek Kit.
- You get to try four different products from Benefit, two of which are immensely coveted.
- You get a mini brush thrown in which can be of use in the future.
- The shades are universal.
- You may not particularly like some of the products/get use out of them.